Short CV in pdf
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering, NTUA
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, NTUA
- M.D., Medical School, University of Athens
- 2015- : Irene McCulloch Distinguished Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Medicine, Keck School of Medicine and Viterbi School of Engineering, University of Southern California.
- 2015- : Director of the Mobile Radiocommunications Lab, National Technical University of Athens.
- 2005- : Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens. Director of the Biomedical Simulations and Imaging Lab.
- 2000-2005: Associate Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens.
- 1996-2000: Assistant Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens.
- 1991-1996: Researcher, Institute of Communication and Computer Systems, Athens.
- Biomedical Signal / Image Processing and Analysis
- Applied Computational Bioelectromagnetics
- Biomedical Telemetry
- M-health and e-health
- Simulation of Biological and Physiological Systems
- Optimization Algorithms and Applications
- Clinical Decision Support Systems
- Neuroinformatics - Computational neuroscience
- 1 book in English (Handbook of Biomedical Telemetry, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2014) as editor
- 7 books in English (Computational Electromagnetics: State of the Art and Future Trends, Springer 2000; Innovation in Nuclear and Radiological Imaging: From Basic Research to Clinical Application, Elsevier 2005; Wireless Mobile Communication and Health Care, Springer 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014; New Directions in Wireless Communications Systems: From Mobile to 5G, CRC Press, 2017) as co-editor
- 1 book in Greek (Medical Imaging Systems, Tziolas 2004) as co-author
- 1 book in Greek (Simulation of Physiological Systems, Tziolas 2010) as author
- 12 special issues of international scientific journals as guest co-editor
- 170 papers in refereed international journals
- 42 chapters in books
- more than 300 international conference papers
- 30 technical reports
- 3 patents
- Associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 2006-
- Associate editor of the Wiley Bioelectromagnetics, 2012-
- Founding Associate Editor of the IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics (J-BHI)
- Associate editor of Springer Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing Journal, 2014-
- Associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2016-
- Associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, 2004-2008
- Co-Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Monitoring and Surveillance Technologies Research (IJMSTR), 2012-
- Guest editor of 12 special issues (IEEE TBME, IEEE JBHI, MBEC Journal, etc)
- Reviewer of technical papers in several journals (IEEE Trans. MTT, IEEE Trans. EMC, Bioelectromagnetics, IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, Bioelectromagnetics, Image and Vision Computing Journal, ACES, JEWA, JOSA, AIM, etc).
- Chair/Honorary Chair of the organizing and/or technical program committee of 25 international conferences on m-health, medical imaging, bioelectromagnetics etc
- Organizer and chair of over 50 sessions in national and international symposia (IEEE, URSI, COMCON etc) on m-health, mobile communications, biomedical and health informatics, medical imaging
- Invited / keynote speaker at more than 50 international workshops (organized by NATO, WHO, ICNIRP) and conferences (IEEE, URSI, COMCON, PIERS etc) in the field of m-health, biomedical and health informatics, electromagnetic dosimetry
- Member of various working groups and teams of experts appointed by the European Commission, the Greek Ministries of Education and Health and the Cyprus Ministry of Education.
- Chair of the ERC LS7 evaluation panel for consolidator grants, 2017.
- Member of the ERC LS7 evaluation panel for consolidator grants, 2015.
- National representative of the european projects COST 244 bis "Biomedical Effects of Electromagnetic Fields" , COST 281 "Potential Health Implications from Mobile Communication Systems", COST BM0704 “Emerging EMF Technologies and Health Risk Management”, COST BM1309 “European network for innovative uses of EMFs in biomedical applications (EMF-MED)”.
- Project leader or technical manager of 30 European (eHealth, FP6-IST, FP7-ICT, ISIS, EC-SMT, EC-Telematics, ESPRIT, etc) or national (ΕPΑΝ, ΕPΕΤ2, SΥΝ, PΕΝΕD, ΚΕSΥ etc) funded research projects.
- Evaluator of research proposals of the Greek General Secretariat of Research and Technology; the Greek Ministry of Health; the EC Framework Programmes; the European Research Council;the Science Foundation Ireland; the Cyprus Foundation for Research Advancement; the Netherlands e-Science Center; Technology Foundation STW, the Netherlands; The Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO), Belgium.
- Member of the evaluation committee of members of staff at several universities (Queen Mary University of London, University of Cyprus, etc).
- Member of international teams of experts to evaluate educational programs in "Electrical and Computer Engineering and Computer Science".
- Member of the Hellenic National Ethics Committee, 2014- .
- Μember of the Hellenic National Council of Research and Technology, 2008-2010
- Member of the Mathematics and Information Science Sector, Hellenic National Council of Research and Technology, 2014-.
- Μember of the Board of Directors of the Greek Atomic Energy Commission, 2008-2009
- Μember of the Board of Directors of the Hellenic National Academic Recognition and Information Center (Hellenic NARIC), 2008-2010.
- Member of the Management Board of the Research Institute of Accelerating Systems and Applications (IASA), University of Athens-National Technical University of Athens, 2009- .
- Deputy Head of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 2010- 2013.
- Chair of the Undergraduate Studies Committee, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 2010-.
- Member of the Senate’s Undergraduate Studies Committee, National Technical University of Athens, 2010-.
- Vice-Chair of the Senate's Postgraduate Studies Committee, National Technical University of Athens, 2015-.
- IEEE-EMBS Greece Founding Chair and Chapter Ambassador, 2006-.
- IEEE Greece Section, Vice Chair, 2010-.
- IEEE-EMBS, Member of the Education Committee, 2012-.
- IEEE-EMBS, Member of the Technical Committee on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI), 2012-.
- IEEE-EMBS, Member of the Administrative Committee (AdCom) (2017-)
- IEEE-EMBS, Member of the Technical Field Award evaluation committee, 2015-2017.
- IEEE International School on Imaging Systems and Techniques, Member of the Board of Directors, 2012-.
- Bodossakis Foundation Academic Prize for exceptional achievements in "Theory and Applications of Information Technology in Medicine".
- Fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE, 2016)
- Founding Fellow of the European Alliance for Medical and Biological Engineering and Science (EAMBES)
- IEEE Honor Awards for outstanding organization of IST 2007, IST 2008
- IEEE Honor Award in recognition and appreciation for valued services and contributions as a General Chair to the BIBE 2008
- IEEE EMBS award as founding chair of the best new chapter (Greece chapter)
- Best paper awards (IEEE BIBE 2013, 45th Panhellenic Symposium of Medical / Surgical Society, 1st International Congress on Pancreatic Cancer, 1st Panhellenic Conference on Biomedical Technology, 14th Conference of the Greek Vascular Society)
Scientific Professional Societies
- Founding Fellow of the European Alliance for Medical and Biological Engineering and Science
- Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S), Antennas and Propagation Society (AP-S), Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), Neural Networks Council, Pervasive Computing Computer Society (CS)
- IEEE-EMBS Greece Chapter Ambassador and Founding Chair
- Member of the Technical Chamber of Greece
- Member of the Athens Medical Association
- Member of the Hellenic Society of Biomedical Engineering
- Member of the National Ethics Committee